Tuesday, May 9, 2017

When Changing Nothing Changes Everything by Laurie Polich Short



Here's an excerpt:

"I remember the morning well. It was a few months after I had moved to Santa Barbara, California, and the pastor I was working for invited me to give the sermon at my church. People were still getting to know me, so I decided to start by sharing a typical scene from my life. Here's how I began:

I got up this morning in my apartment, and I was all alone. I have no husband, so there are no kids. The owner recently put a "For Sale" sign in the front yard, so I probably won't be able to stay in my place much longer. The rent will go up, and I'll have to find something else. Dating at my age is not easy, because everyone you meet has baggage. It's just a matter of choosing what luggage you can live with. Whether it's a divorce, shared kids, or the reasons that accompany prolonged singleness, it's been impossible to find anyone I am interested in. I love it here, but working at a church is one of the hardest jobs a single person can have. You feel your singleness everywhere you go.

I paused, and an awkward silence fell across the crowd. Noticing the pastor staring at me with a look of wonderment (not the good kind), I took a deep breath and started again:

I got up this morning and I had the whole place to myself. It was quiet, and I could do whatever I wanted. The "For Sale" sign is still in front of my place, so I'll be able to live there another month. If it sells, there's a chance I might find something even better. Dating is much easier at my age because you know yourself more. You are better equipped to make a good choice. You also have a lot more grace for the people you date because you realize that circumstances make life complicated. And my job? Working at a church is such a gift! What a blessing to have an extended family in the place where you work when there isn't one at home.

I should have stopped my sermon right there. Because this was the only part of the talk people remembered. It's been ten years since I gave that illustration, and there are still some people who remember it."

As you might have noticed from the above excerpt, this is an excellent book that teaches the reader how to reframe various situations in one's life.

The book is arranged in 4 different sections as follows:

Lens 1: The Big View

Lens 2: The Present View

Lens 3: The Rear View

Lens 4: The Higher View

In the first part of the book, the reader learns how to see things with a bigger picture in mind. Small, inconsequential actions made by us today may have a tremendous impact in the future. We read about the stories of different individuals where this has proven to be true.

Next, we learn about how to be in the present and enjoy the moment we are in. This may seem trite to some people, but the author manages to mould this section in such as way that is earnest and heartwarming.

Then, we look to the past to learn how it affects us presently.

Finally, we realise that God often views things differently from us. There is purpose for any pain we might currently be experiencing now and knowing this helps us cope with it.

These different parts of a book provided a clear picture of the various lenses we should put on when attempting to reframe parts of our lives.

Apart from the fact that it was slightly confusing to learn that she was single (in the beginning of the book), to being engaged (in the middle), and then having it fail, and then eventually getting married (in the middle and at the end), it was a good book with clear examples and vivid anecdotes.

All in all, I would say this is an easy and informative read that would be useful to anyone needing a paradigm shift. Get your book from IVP today!





Disclaimer: The publisher provided a free copy of this book for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment