Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi


If you are like me, you've probably not been exposed to graphic novels much. The first one I read was The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye and I was blown away. Persepolis is my third graphic novel and I'm similarly impressed. 

This book is the memoir of a girl growing up in Iran as the Islamic revolution took place. Funny, honest, and tragic, I finished it in the span of a week. I must admit that the form helped. If this had been a novel instead being presented in the form of a comic, it certainly would have taken much longer. The simplicity of the drawings also made the serious themes so much easier to swallow.

If you don't know much about the Iranian revolution, this might be a good place to start. I highly recommend this book to the global citizen tired of reading long form articles.

You can get your copy from Amazon or Book Depository today! I got mine from Kinokuniya at Takashimaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment