Friday, March 11, 2016

Strong and Weak: Embracing a life of love, risk and true flourishing by Andy Crouch


I've read too many Christian books on living and on leadership that I don't like, so this was a refreshing change.

The author's objective was to empower the reader with the right thinking in order to live "a life of love, risk & true flourishing".


He makes use of this 2 by 2 chart to illustrate his understanding of true flourishing. It's a pretty simple chart comprising 4 quadrants:

I: Authority with Vulnerability = Flourishing
II: Vulnerability with no Authority = Suffering
III: No authority and no Vulnerability = Withdrawing
IV: Authority with no Vulnerability = Exploiting

Simple as it is, I loved how the author made use of examples from the world around us to elaborate on the finer points of his argument.

This is an easy-to-read book that captured my attention from its very first paragraph: "Two questions haunt every human life and every human community. The first: What are we meant to be? The second: Why are we so far from what we're meant to be?" The rest of the book attempts to answer these two questions.

I have learnt how to be a better person, and a better leader by reading this book. I liked how he based his core ideas on the life of Jesus Christ, yet is accessible enough for even the average non-Christian to read and also gain from it.

I would recommend this book to all Christians, especially those tired of "self-help" type of books that are flooding the market. Check it out on Amazon and Book Depository today!




Disclaimer: The publisher sent me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment