Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Searching for Sunday by Rachel Held Evans


This is a beautifully written book about losing one's faith in the Christian God and finding it back again. In Rachel Held Evans' third book, she has truly blossomed as a writer and out of her three books, this is the one I enjoyed the most.

The book revolves around various sacraments of the church in the following order:

1. Baptism
2. Confession
3. Holy Orders
4. Communion 
5. Confirmation
6. Anointing of the Sick
7. Marriage 

I loved how she used these themes and related her personal encounters with them while weaving in how these sacraments feature in the church and in the lives of others.

Although I've not left my faith, I could empathise with her and I sometimes lament the various shortcomings of the Church.

However, this book helped me realise that although humans are inherently flawed, God isn't, and redemption can be found even in the midst of imperfection.

Now that I've finished it, I know exactly who to loan this book to: a friend who is jaded with the church and tired of the messages coming from the pulpit every Sunday. I pray this book will ignite a tiny flame of hope within her weary heart and encourage her to continue in her Christian walk.

Find out more about Searching for Sunday here or order your very own copy from Book Depository or Amazon today. I promise you, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment