Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Disabled God: Toward a Liberatory Theology of Disability by Nancy L. Eiesland


I was quite disappointed with this book because I had high hopes for it. Recommended by a friend on his blog, I ordered this book from Book Depository and read it mostly on the plane when I had a trip across the Pacific in January.

The book mainly deals with how disabled people deal with living life. I didn't find much "liberatory theology" save for a small section at the end where the author mentioned how Jesus is a disabled Messiah. His hands were pierced and when he came back resurrected, he wasn't whole, the holes in his hands were still there. That made me think a little about what being disabled means. People say that in heaven the lame can walk, and the blind can see, but if Jesus' hands were not made whole, what does this say about the new body that we are to possess in the afterlife?

Raises some interesting questions don't you think?

I wished the book dealt less with the lives of the disabled, important as it is, and more with liberatory theology. I guess I have to look for another book to satisfy my curiosity. It is a topic close to my heart because I have bipolar and I sometimes wonder where and how that fits in in the Kingdom of God.

Ah well. If you've got any good titles on disability and theology, do recommend it to me and tell me in the comments below!

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment