Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Rachel's Top Picks for 2015!



Here's a line each from my reviews for the entire year!

1. Moth by Leonora Liow
For a book with such a horrendous cover, I was stunned to find a couple of gems in it.

2. 寻找 by Ah Guo Tanhengkok I though this was a brilliant and poignant work of art.

3. Stuff Matters: Exploring the Marvelous Materials that Shape our Man-made World by Mark Miodownik
If only it'd been written when I was in school, it would have motivated me to study hard in class and attempt to appreciate the esoteric nature of the modules I was taking.

4. Short Circuits: through the catchments of faith and writing by Anne Lee Tzu Pheng
This book is basically a collection of short vignettes of the author's experience with writing, poetry, and with God.

5. Tender Delirium by Tania De Rozario
The poetry and prose here is raw emotion mixed with heart-rending truths of reality.

6. Scattered Vertebrae by Jerrold Yam
I’d urge those exploring Singapore poetry to pick this title up.

7. The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye by Sonny Liew
Beyond the controversy this book generated, Sonny Liew has created a gem, multi-faceted and quite a sight to behold.

8. Counterfeit Gods: The Empty Promises of Money, Sex, and Power, and the Only Hope That Matters by Timothy Keller
Things like love, success, money and power can all become idols if we are not careful.

9. The Invisible Manuscript by Alfian Sa'at
"I never knew poetry on gay male sex could be so beautiful," was how I introduced this book to a couple of my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment