Thursday, March 19, 2015

The Adventures of Squirky the Alien #3: Who is the Red Commander?


The third book of The Adventures of Squirky the Alien series is now out! I was at the book launch at Kinokuniya last Saturday and it was great to be able to attend it after missing out on the previous two. 

This is an action-packed book and opens with a bang! Emma and Squirky were accosted by an alien, the Red Sergeant immediately upon landing on Planet R. He took them to see their leader to determine what was to be done with them. It's quite an opening and I'm sure kids would be hooked from page 1. 

For the uninitiated, Squirky is a blue alien adopted by the Lee family on earth and Emma is his sister. Both of them are on a quest to look for Squirky's birth parents after they found out that he was adopted. 

Back to the book. I think it's really interesting when the reader discovers that the Red Commander that Red Sergeant brings them to turns out to be blue like Squirky! I'll leave you to read the rest of the story to find out what happens after.

I must say also that the illustrations really bring life to the characters. Well done David Liew!

It is notable that there are so many life lessons one can learn in this book. The main one I learnt is that one must, and can, face up to one's fears. That's a great life lesson a kid (or even an adult) can learn just by reading this book. 

Finally, the author includes some advice for parents who've adopted kids and a really useful question and answer guide to family and friends who might be curious about the details of the adoption process. It located at the end of the book, is really tactful and I think it's a great resource for parents. 

I loved Book 3 and can't wait for Books 4, 5 and the final Book 6! 

I would recommend all parents to buy this book, and the first two in the series to read to and with their children. For those without kids, like me, you could buy them for someone with kids, just like I did. I'm sure they'll enjoy it as much as I did. 

If you'd like to find out more about the books, you can click here which will take you to their official website. Although the website features the thoughts of the author on the topic of adoption more than information on the books, it is quite an interesting place to browse. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment