Thursday, March 12, 2015

Lost in Taipei - The travel diary of Amos Lee


Adeline Foo is such a great writer! I flipped open the book this afternoon and finished it an hour and a half later as I made a trip to Marina South Pier from my place and back. Okay now that I'm done gushing, let's get to the review proper. 

The wildly popular (200,000 copies have been sold according to the stat stated on the cover) series of "The Diary of Amos Lee" has been so popular that the 5th book in this series borrowed from the National Library Board (Serangoon branch) was quite tattered. It must have seen a lot of readers. 

This time, the protagonist Amos Lee ventures out of Singapore to Taipei on a secondary school cultural immersion trip. An adventure ensures not long after he gets there and I'm amazed how the author weaves in so much trivia on all things Taiwanese and still makes the story work. She is a genius. 

I love how Amos has a heart for animals and cringed and felt sick when a stall-holder in a street market chopped off the head of a turtle and left it wriggling for the bystanders to gawk at. 

I shall not post any spoilers here and would just advise you to read the book. It's a great book for kids, more relevant to the average Singaporean child than "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" and is pretty engaging for a young adult like myself too. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment