Sunday, September 7, 2014

From the belly of the cat edited by Stephanie Ye


I bought this book months ago in March when I wandered into Books Actually for the very first time. They say that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I threw caution to the wind and bought this book on impulse. 

I was not let down. This was such a compelling collection of short stories that I finished the entire volume in a single night. 

This is an anthology where the common thread running through all the stories are, as you would probably have guessed from the cover, something to do with cats. 

I enjoyed the stories where there was a touch of magical realism, the one that can be classified as Singaporean Sci Fi, the mellow ones set in the HDB heartland and more. This anthology is a rather rojak mix of stories from a diverse range of authors, some "established, award-winning authors", others "students for whom this is their first published work" as the Preface says. 

I reckon that this would make a purr-fect gift to cat-lovers who love to read. And even if you aren't partial to furry felines, it still makes for an entertaining evening of stories mostly set here in sunny Singapore. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment