Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


I got this book at the tail end of last year after my friend Theresa recommended me to read it after a disastrous first attempt at a draft chapter for a book project I'm working on. So I promptly headed to Kinokuniya and purchased it. 

And I must say, The Book Thief is a great book! Death is the narrator and he is a pretty compelling one at that. I never read a book quite like that before. 

The story is about the experiences of a girl named Liesel who is placed in a foster home just before World War 2 erupted in Germany. Liesel is the protagonist and she is the book thief the book is named after. She begins by picking up a book at her little brother's burial (rather innocently) and develops a strong love for reading even though her foster father struggled to teach her to do so. I could identify with the character as I love books too!

It's a rather long but easy read, and the 550 pages passed by rather quickly in three days. Also, I understand that the book's been made into a movie and I can't wait to see it!

I'd recommend this book to anyone who loves a good novel. I'm assuming that's almost everyone. 

3 comments:

  1. I just read the book Rach! Loved it too!! It's such a poignant tale - and makes me wonder again how one man alone could mobilise a whole nation to irrationally seek to exterminate an entire population of innocent people. You write such awesome reviews :) - NY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel. If you like, I would be happy to send you a copy of I Ate Tiong Bahru...The URL will take you to a link that has info and reviews about the book.... Onward! SB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephen Black. Sure, I would be happy to read it and you can send it to me. I don't see the URL though. Could you type it in again? Thanks!

      Delete