Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen, adapted by Nancy Butler & Hugo Pertus


I was chatting with my colleague Jayashree the other day and we were talking about our hobbies. Turns out we both enjoy reading. And that we both ADORE Jane Austen's classic - Pride and Prejudice. 

So it would come as no surprise that I was intrigued when she related how she'd found a comic book version of that awesome novel. Now this is the first time I'm reviewing a comic book, but hey, it is a book nonetheless. So there. 

I think this is a great book to introduce the classic to teenagers, young adults, or to anyone who might not otherwise spend the time to go through the entire book. It can be pretty intimidating to start on a novel that length. Comics, on the other hand, are non-threatening and appeal to the general public. I found my sister picking up the book (I'd left it on my bed) and before the night was over, she had finished the entire story. 

I must say that it stays faithful to the original story, period style speech included. It is beautiful. It's so good that my heart still skipped a beat the moment Darcy professed his love for Elizabeth, just like before. 

I suppose the only gripe I have is that it could have been prettier. But that is pretty subjective I must admit. 

I would recommend this book to everyone, young or old, male or female, Jane Austen fan or not. Everyone should
be given a chance to experience the power of this marvelous tale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment