Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pastrix - The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint by NadiaBolz-Weber



So I received this book in the mail two days ago, it was like a belated birthday present for myself. I bought it like 2 weeks before my birthday but I'm sure bookdepository did its best. 

Anyway, I finished it over two days and it's a really good read. Three things I loved about the book, the stories in it, the fact that it made me refer to my Merriam-Webster app on my iPhone more than once to figure out what certain words meant, and that I had to google certain American terms to figure out what they refer to. So I learnt what Trapper Keepers were and who Ann Coulter is. 

I heard about the book on twitter. I think Rachel Held Evans probably mentioned it and then I kept reading comments from different ones. Started following the author on twitter too. 

I think the thing that struck me most about the book was that you should not be afraid to be yourself with you start believing in God. He doesn't expect you to be all holy and pious and to be someone you are not. You don't have to try too hard to please Him. Come just as you are. He loves you just as you are. 

And God can work through you too. 

And that church is a community. 

And finally, that you can always expect God to show up when you least expect Him to. 

I think this is a pretty terrible book review. So there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment