Thursday, March 7, 2013

Called Out by Janet Boynes




I was pleasantly surprised by my cell group leader who presented this book to me last Friday before the cell group meeting started. She had just attended the Arise and Soar conference in Singapore and saw this book on sale there.

Anyway, it is an easy read and I completed the book within 2 days. The titled, "Called Out" refers to God calling Janet Boynes out of homosexuality. Whereas homosexuals refer to a "coming out" experience, Janet has been "called out" of the same lifestyle by God. It is also a reference to the passage in 1 Peter 2:9,

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light

The author separated the book into two clear portions, the first, her life-story, and the second, a advice/FAQ section. 

I must say that compressing 40 years of your life into 6 chapters must not be an easy task. But she has done a great job in doing so. I must probably give credit to her editor (if she had one) because the text flows smoothly and within the blink of an eye, I've finished 6 chapters.

I would have preferred if she'd fleshed out her life-story a little more and tell us in more detail how God and the people around her transformed her life but I suppose she had more pressing things to talk about. The second half of the book, consisting of 5 chapters, addresses the various stakeholders involved when a person chooses the homosexual lifestyle. It was kinda trying reading through these chapters but I can see that she is trying to cover as much ground as she can within a single book. So this is definitely a book for everyone to read.

Chapter 7 - For those who struggle
Chapter 8 - For the Church
Chapter 9 - For parents
Chapter 10 - For friends and family
Chapter 11 - What can we do?

She then devotes a lengthy 70 pages to a Question and Answer section. I must say I'm pretty impressed with her and it is true that the church has been too quiet about LGBT issues in the community. Instead of letting them set the tone, as a church, we ought to lovingly yet firmly put forth our stand.

All in all, it's an interesting read, but I must say that as good as her intentions were, I don't really consider the book as solving my needs. Labels are too past-tense. In any case, a good read nonetheless. I'd recommend this for all, Christians and non-Christians alike, SSA-strugglers, parents, friends and family and church members and leaders as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment