Friday, November 16, 2012

Singapore Word Maps - A chapbook of Edwin Thumboo's new and selectedplace poems

What on earth is a "chapbook" you may ask? Well, I didn't know either until my faithful Merriem-Webster iPhone app informed me that it was "a small book containing ballads, poems, tales, or tracts". There you go.

I received this book as a reward for speaking up during the interval of the ending debate of the Singapore Writers Festival that took place on 11 November 2012.

The book is essentially Thumboo's insights and reflections of various parts of Singapore, ranging from Kent Ridge to Punggol to Bidadari. I love the idea of place poems. What better way to remember your country and the places that bring meaning to you, both old and new, than such poems?

So I dove into it straight away. I must admit that free verse is not my usual cup of tea. But who could resist a free book? And I have heard so much about the author, I had to finish his book. So finish I did.

I suppose good poetry makes you want to read it repeatedly. And Thumboo's poems really warrant re-reading. I most certainly will. The poems are rich with meaning, full imagery and local flavor. I must say that if one has not lived in Singapore for a protracted period of time, one might not appreciate these poems fully.

Well, I don't know where to get a copy of this book if you'd like to purchase a copy after reading this review. I did a quick search on Google to no avail. But it's published by the National Library Board of Singapore so you could ask them if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment