Monday, October 29, 2012

Praying to the goddess of mercy by Mahita Vas

Wow. That's the first word that comes to mine as I finished this book in a little cafe called "Toast Box" not feeling particularly toasty but freezing from the chilly air-conditioning.

I bought this book yesterday at Popular Bookstore in Bukit Timah Plaza as I waited for my sister who was at the hairdresser's. Randomly browsing through the shelves, this book caught my eye with "bipolar" emphasized in the bright pink font against the dark blue background.

You see, like the author, I've been diagnosed with the same disorder. So I was naturally interested in reading her perspective on it. Coming from a fellow Singaporean, that was an added bonus as I've only read books by doctors or personal recounts by Westerners on online blogs.

I must say it's a pretty decent read and the story of the author's life flows along quite briskly. She's lived a pretty charmed life I must admit. An SIA girl for a couple of years and in top advertising firms for the next two decades. It's really interesting reading about her insights in these industries, especially with alternating episodes of mania and depression.

The chapter on seeing a psychiatrist could not have come any sooner as I was wondering when that'll happen. It really took pretty long. Thank God I found out early and stabilized rather quickly despite the initial resistance.

Would really love to meet the author one day and more than just getting my book signed, I'd love to hear from her directly. And she has the most wonderful husband and kids to boot. It's amazing, you should read the book.

I'd recommend the book to everyone. For those wishing to get an insight on the bipolar mind, whether to support a loved one who has been diagnosed with it or for those who just want to understand the condition better. Or perhaps you might be a fellow sufferer and this is something to help you along your journey.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Mahita is doing a public talk about Praying to the Goddess of Mercy on Friday 1 Feb, at Books Actually. 7.30pm. Perhaps you'll have the chance to meet her in person there and hear from her directly, just like you wished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Naomi. I wasn't able to meet her at the talk you mentioned as I was busy, but I somehow got into contact with her and met her.

      Thank you for your comment though. I appreciate it. :)

      Delete